Wednesday 7 July 2021

Clayre Benzadón : part five

How do you know when a poem is finished?

I feel like this is a trick question; perhaps this questions can’t be fully answered, or others may find my answer an incomplete one. I don’t really know when a poem is finished, but I think I determine my piece land on two extremes of this process : Many times, once I write that last line, because I went through the mere process of writing a full poem, I revel in the newness and confidence of writing a whole draft, and automatically think, I finished! On the other hand, my perfectionism gets in the way of allowing me to finish a poem, so I’ll have a poem, with words on it, or with a part of it done, that I hesitate to come back to. I’ll give it days, then I get more and more discouraged with it the longer I give it time. In worse cases, I’ll doubt a poem to its entirety after all the time I spent on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment