Tuesday 28 July 2020

Calibna J. Kerr : part four

What poets changed the way you thought about writing?

Every writer, author, poet has inspiration, one of my poems is entitled ‘there is nothing new under the sun’ and this forms a key part of the construction of ‘Grenade Rain Dance.’ Inspiration is key to developing ideas, and of course this then shapes how you approach your content or subject matter. A key poet that has always played a role in my development is Charles Bukowski, there is simply a rawness to his verse that other poets seem to lack. The Beats as well of course, Ferlinghetti, Ginsberg, Kerouac and Burroughs, have been really instrumental in how I create specific images, and approach form. More local to me, Benjamin Zephaniah, played a key role in my development, as he taught me that words are the best form of communication, and change can be achieved through the written word. But most recently, I think the best poet writing today by a country mile, is Kate Tempest. She has what the others don’t. ‘Let them eat Chaos’ for example, is raw and cuts to the point quickly, exploring a plethora of images that her audience are able to relate to, and that is something that I often return to.

No comments:

Post a Comment