Monday 18 January 2021

Kelli Stevens Kane : part one

Kelli Stevens Kane is a poet, playwright, and oral historian. She’s the author of Hallelujah Science (Spuyten Duyvil, October 2020). Kane is a Cave Canem Fellow, an August Wilson Center Fellow, and a recipient of Advancing Black Arts in Pittsburgh grants from The Pittsburgh Foundation.  She's studied at VONA, Hurston/Wright, and Callaloo.  Her work has appeared in North American Review, Little Patuxent Review, Under a Warm Green Linden, Painted Bride Quarterly, African Voices, and Split This Rock. Kane has read her poetry and oral history, and performed her one woman show, Big George, nationally. For more info visit kellistevenskane.com.

How did you first engage with poetry?

Poetry engaged with me before I engaged back. When I was a child and other parents bragged about their kids, my dad would clap back that I wrote my first book of poetry at the age of three months. I have no idea why he picked this, of all achievements, but I imagine in doing so, he marked me for poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment