Friday 10 January 2020

Victoria J Iacchetta : coda

How does a poem begin?

As each day passes, and I look back on things I’ve written weeks, months, or years ago, I find it’s increasingly difficult to really understand how my poetry takes form. Of course my words are intentional, and most of the time I begin a poem with a general objective. But the process of getting from A to Z, I rarely track, or map out.

I’m an artist at heart, and I’ve found it’s always best to let things just take their own direction. When it comes to my creative outlets, like painting, sketching, or writing poetry, I enjoy the freedom of letting my work develop along the way.

With that said, I usually have a few lines floating around in my head already that force me to start thinking a poem to life. So, typically, I just start with getting that initial idea on paper and use that as a jumping off point. It’s not unlike me to change the entire beginning of the poem once I’ve gotten to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment