Saturday 4 January 2020

Kyla Jamieson : part five

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

I have workshop burnout, so no. I think it can be detrimental to open your work up to too many sources of input. But I love to be in dialogue about ideas, and am lucky to have a partner who’s a writer and a generous reader, as well as friends who are great writers, actors, and artists. I also have an online post-concussion syndrome community that I’m deeply grateful for. I don’t know how I’d have made it to where I am without creative and disability community.

In terms of how I work poems, I typically do a lot of the writing and editing in the notes app on my phone. I’m not attached to this method, but I’m grateful that this was how I was working when I got my concussion, because since my injury my eyes have really struggled to follow a line of text across a page, and keeping my lines short on a narrow phone screen allowed me to read my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment