Wednesday 27 June 2018

Kristin Garth : coda

How did you first engage with poetry?

I remember the first poet who I ever saw performing their work.  I was in early elementary school, and we all came to the cafeteria to hear a poet.  Even then I guess I had pre-conceived notions of what a poet was.  I expected someone professorial.  Instead it was a man who looked like he came down off a mountain.  He was in fact from the Ozarks.  I looked for his book which I still have somewhere in my library, and I was unable to locate it to tell you his name.  I was just smitten with him.  I loved watching him own his identity which was so unique and tied to his place, his unique experience.  He was a performer and an individual.  It taught me that you didn’t have to be from a big city or slick or pretentious to be a poet.  I am from a small town, Gulf Breeze, Florida, and he was from a smaller place than me, but he was a traveling, performing poet.  You just have to do the easiest and hardest thing in the world: be yourself.  A person who can do that, I think, can own any room or microphone or page.  You have to tell your story like it’s the most important story in the world.  If you do it right, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment