Friday 1 July 2022

Jessica Purdy : part two

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you       work ideas and poems with?

Yes, writers groups are essential to my process. I belong to a local one called City Hall Poets because we used to meet at City Hall in Portsmouth, NH. Now we are meeting on zoom. Once a month we workshop poems. It is so important to share what I am working on with others. I respect these poets and highly value their feedback. Their poems inspire and influence me as well.

The other is The Poetry Salon facilitated by the fabulous Tresha Faye Haefner over zoom. I attend her generative workshops at least twice a week and often more frequently than that. I also attend her Structure & Surprise workshop once a week which uses the book of the same name edited by Michael Thune. I am overjoyed to have found her workshops and sometimes I lead them as well. Her students are incredible poets! I am a perpetual student of poetry and hope to always be learning and growing as a poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment