Thursday 9 June 2022

Jose Hernandez Diaz : part three

Has your consideration of poetry changed since you began?

When I first started writing poetry in my 20’s, I tended to write about politics and trying to change the world. As I got older and the world continued to burn, I started to write more odes or homage pieces to the people in my life, like my parents, that I wanted to thank or everyday experiences about growing up first-gen Mexican American as opposed to broader political rants with agendas. Also, as I finished graduate school, I started writing prose poems both surrealist and absurdist. Many of these prose poems were written in the third person which was new to me having only written in first person before that (other than fiction). The third person allowed me to be less personal, to write more in persona or as a mask or sorts, avoiding the confessional of my personal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment