Thursday 23 June 2022

Jose Hernandez Diaz : part five

Why is poetry important?

Poetry is important for many different reasons to different people. For me, it is a vehicle or a voice or an outlet for my creative and philosophical ideas. I always wanted to be an artist growing up. I wanted to be a musician or guitarist. I wanted to be a painter. I wanted to be a short story writer. When I discovered contemporary poetry at the library and I saw Octavio Paz, Rosario Castellanos, Francisco X. Alarcon, Lorna Dee Cervantes, I saw that I could do it, too. Folks like me had done it before and done it well. Why couldn’t I do it? 

Poetry is like a religion to me. So long as I can write poems and prose poems that I’m proud of, my life will have meaning. Writing poetry fulfils my dreams of becoming an artist. It gives me new dreams of teaching, editing, and leaving doors and possibilities open. Poetry is dreams. Poetry is important because without it the world would lack part of its soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment