Sunday 12 June 2022

Jennifer Bartlett : part one

Jennifer Bartlett’s most recent book is Autobiography/Anti-Autobiography (theenk Books, 2014). Bartlett also co-edited, with Sheila Black and Michael Northen, Beauty Is a Verb: The New Poetry of Disability. She also cofounded Zoeglossia, the first organization in the United States to promote and nurture the work of poets with disabilities. Bartlett has received fellowships from the New York Foundation for the Arts, Fund for Poetry, and the Dodd Research Center at the University of Connecticut. She is currently writing a full-length biography of Larry Eigner.

What are you working on?

I actually have not written a poem in about four years. Somehow my experience with the lock down due to Covid in Brooklyn had a huge effect on me. I have learnt that I am a highly social being and this had a huge effect on my mental health. I have been telling people that I have to feel safe to write a poem, and I haven't felt safe in awhile, but I am also beginning to feel like my language, the language of poetry, has been taken from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment