Saturday 7 May 2022

Jean Van Loon : part one

Jean Van Loon is an Ottawa writer of poetry and short fiction. Her first poetry collection, Building on River (Cormorant, 2018), was a finalist for the Ottawa Book Award. Her second, Nuclear Family, was published by McGill-Queen's University Press in April 2022.

How did you first engage in poetry?

Following a long-time casual interest in poetry, my first true engagement came through a workshop led by Ottawa poet Stephen Brockwell. I signed up in hope of a shakeup of my brain, and that I got! But my deep focus on poetry came about through the magic of a weekly poetry critique group of supportive but clear-eyed women, the Ruby Tuesdays group. We offer each other not only critiques, but introductions to new poets, prompts to new writing, information about workshops and publishing and reading possibilities - and of course moral support through the ups and downs of writing. Plus we laugh a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment