Monday 16 May 2022

Carol Harvey Steski : part two

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

I’m a lone wolf, probably to my detriment. Likely I could benefit from the support, energy and accountability of a group of other writers, but so far, I’m a solo project. I’ve always been a keen observer so when something strikes me as interesting to explore – images, objects, sayings or memories – things that fascinate me or that enter my head and won’t leave, that’s how a poem starts for me. Often these are rich visually, rhythmically and/or in their meaning, so are good fodder for obsessive examination. And I dip my toes into exploring my own medical traumas, of which there seem to be no shortage (cancer, endometriosis, infertility, pregnancy loss, a disfiguring autoimmune skin disease called morphea). On that front, I alternate between avoiding dredging up unpleasant feelings and the eventual need to release them out of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment