Sunday 29 March 2020

Lynne Schmidt : part five

Has your consideration of poetry changed since you began?

Deeply. I started writing poetry in elementary school, delving in a bit more in middle school, and then keeping notebook after notebook. In some capacity, poetry was like a journal to me that I didn’t mind sharing with the world. In undergrad, I landed my first publication and then sort of took a break. I’ve been taking myself more seriously over the last two years and it seems to be paying off.

Through the timeline of about twenty years, I’ve tried to expose myself to as much poetry as possible. Poets I’ve never heard of, poets I have, poets who died years and years ago. It helps me to get a well rounded base of knowledge and respect for the art.

With that said, I think I’ve shifted away from the journal-based poetry, but remain in the contemporary confessional agenda. Many of my poems are based in my real life and they tell stories of trauma and healing. But now, I put a lot more time and effort into them to make them the best they can be. I wasn’t able to offer that when I was younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment