Wednesday 11 March 2020

Ilona Martonfi : part two

How did you first engage with poetry?

I read the poem "Babi Yar" by Yevgeny Yevtushenko in a magazine. His work focused on war atrocities and denounced antisemitism. It was the 1970s. In blue ink I wrote the poem into a red notebook.

And he was more than a poet - he was a citizen taking a stand. Searching for a tombstone, a historical marker, but finding nothing. It took him two hours to write the poem that begins:

“No monument stands over Babi Yar.
A drop sheer as a crude gravestone. I am afraid.”

Three decades later I publish my first poetry book, Blue Poppy (Coracle Press, 2009). I dedicate the book to my late mother Magda Kovács.

I am artistic director of The Yellow Door Reading Series. Visual Arts Centre Reading Series. And Argo Bookshop Reading Series. Recipient of the Quebec Writers’ Federation 2010 Community Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment