Friday 11 January 2019

Frances Boyle : part four

What other poetry books have you been reading lately?

The poetry books that I’ve read most deeply lately are two that I reviewed: Donald Winkler’s translation of Carole David’s The Year of My Disappearance (online at http://www.canthius.com/feed-2/2018/7/29/review-of-the-year-of-my-disappearance-by-caroline-david) and Layli Long Soldier’s Whereas (in the fall 2018 issue of Arc Poetry Magazine), both wonderful and deserving of the multiple re-readings.

I keep books I’ve recently acquired on a ledge beside my reading chair, and tend to dip into them for exposure to a multiplicity of voices. I rarely read cover to cover. In the current stack, among others, are Jenny Haysom’s Dividing the Wayside, Susan Gillis’s brand-new Yellow Crane, Night Sky with Exit Wounds by Ocean Vuong, Thin Air of the Knowable by Wendy Donawa, Late Style by Barry Dempster, Violet Energy Ingots by Hoa Nguyen and Voodoo Hypothesis by Canisia Lubrin. I’ve kept dark ecologies, a wonderful chapbook by Natalie Hanna, close at hand for nearly a year, and return to it again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment