Friday 25 January 2019

David Estringel : part three

How does your work first enter the world? 

Mostly by pure divine inspiration. Part of me does feel like I have a muse, actually. Out of nowhere a line of verse will pop in my head, usually at the most inconvenient moments (driving, teaching class, etc.) and I ruminate over it for hours. It is usually a line that fits somewhere in the middle, but it carries with it the tone of the piece and from there a ripple-effect happens and the rest of the poem forms around it. There have been times when I have been able to sit down and intentionally create, but those are the exceptions more than the rule. My creative spurts tend to happen in fives or sixes, then radio-silence for a while. Beautiful and frustrating at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment