Thursday 8 November 2018

Nancy Jo Cullen : part one

Nancy Jo Cullen is a Calgary transplant now living in Kingston, ON. She’s the 4th recipient of the Writers’ Trust Dayne Ogilvie Prize for LGBT Emerging Writer. Her fiction and poems have appeared in Best Canadian Poetry 2018, The Journey Prize, The Puritan, Grain, filling Station, Plenitude, Prairie Fire, This Magazine, Room and Arc Poetry Magazine. She has published 3 collections of poetry with Calgary’s Frontenac House Press. Her short story collection, Canary, was published in 2013 by Biblioasis. Her novel, The Western Alienation Merit Badge is forthcoming in 2019 with Wolsak and Wynn. She is mid-way through her fourth collection of poetry titled Nothing Will Save Your Life.

How does a poem begin?

A poem for me usually begins for me as a phrase image that I want to explore.  Sometimes I have a plan, I know what I want to get to in the poem, other times I riff on the image and one idea leads to the next until the poem is finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment