Sunday 30 September 2018

Michael Dennis : part three


When you require renewal, is there a particular poem or book that you return to? A particular author?
As much as I return to poetry I return to novels and movies and music.  There are a certain few novels that I read every few years.  I just finished rereading The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera.  I don’t know how many times I’ve read it but the ending always surprises me.  Francis Ford Coppola’s “The Godfather” is a movie I return to, but I also love rereading Mario Puzo’s The Godfather to shake out the gobwebs.  John Irving’s splendid Cider House Rules is a book I return to, almost as a gift to myself.
At present I’m reading a fair bit of new poetry, daily, I’m going through fifteen to twenty poetry titles most week, just to keep up with the blog.  I think because I’m reading so much poetry that when I need to recharge the batteries I go outside poetry.  I listen to a lot of music although I tend to listen to music I already know instead of searching out new music.  I am a lazy man.
Right now I’m reading Paul Auster’s 4321, an autobiography by Bruce Springsteen, a book of short stories by Alison MacLeod, All the Beloved Ghosts and a book of feminist essays called Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay.


No comments:

Post a Comment