Wednesday 19 September 2018

Matty Layne Glasgow : part three

What are you working on?

I recently submitted the final revisions of my first collection of poems to my publisher, and that process has left me much more emotionally and creatively drained than I previously understood possible. deciduous qween will be out in May of 2019 with Red Hen Press, but most of my excitement remains shrouded in dread and anxiety, so I’m juggling a few projects depending on the day and my mood.

In terms of poetry, I’m writing more about Houston, particularly our environmental history: the construction of bayous, the ship channel, the toxic industries inherent to our community. There’s also a book-length project I did a great deal of research on over the past few years during my MFA that follows the life of a transgender soldier during the Mexican Revolution. It’s a story and an individual I have a great deal of love and respect for, but I still have a lot to work through to make sure I bring Amelio’s life to the page in an ethical way that is the artifact of queer world-making befitting of his life. I’m also working on a novel that is all about queer magic and the ghost of a drag queen who protects a forest under siege. Drag, ghosts, and trees are my holy trinity.

To maintain my sanity and for my own personal pleasure, I’ve been reveling in some queer erotica about my beloved Houston Astros too. It may never live in the world, but it’s a nice way for me to interrogate and deconstruct toxic masculinity by queering my hometown squad. Bottoms up! Or rather, “Batter up!” Whatever they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment