Thursday 13 September 2018

Lauren Brazeal : part one


Lauren Brazeal is the author of two chapbooks, Zoo for Well-Groomed Eaters (Dancing Girl Press, 2016), and exuviae (Horse Less Press, 2016). Her first full-length collection, Gutter, is releasing in the summer of 2018 from Yes Yes Books. In her past, Brazeal has been a homeless gutter-punk, a resident of Ecuador’s Amazon jungle, a maid, a surfer chick, and a custom aquarium designer. A graduate of Bennington’s MFA program in writing and literature, her work has appeared in journals such as DIAGRAMSmartish PaceBarrelhouseForkliftOhio, and Verse Daily.

How does a poem begin?

I tend to write two kinds of poems. Sometimes the poem arrives fully formed, and I act more like a transcriber—jotting down the words as though they’re being dictated to me from a speaker outside myself. Other times, I hack away at a poem, and it’s a slow, sweaty, chiseling effort. These poems sometimes go through months of edits before reaching a finishing point. Most often though, my work is a combination of the two: an impulse or series of inspirations that require teasing and manipulation in places. 


No comments:

Post a Comment