Sunday 7 February 2021

Katie Jenkins : part four

How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

I was privileged to work closely with two wonderful poets during my creative writing diploma course at Oxford University – Matthew Barton and Sue Leigh. They provided inspiring writing prompts in class and engaged forensically with my work during a series of one-to-one tutorials, which really helped me develop and sharpen my poems. I recently joined the Poetry Society and joining one of their local stanza groups is next on my to-do list. I try to get along to online events organised by the Gloucestershire Poetry Society – they are a lovely bunch based in my beloved home county. I am so looking forward to attending their events and workshops in person again when they can return. I am in touch with the other alumni from my course and we also share work from time to time. My go-to reader is my very talented friend Jane Thomas (@JaneThomas33) who was a runner-up in The Rialto’s latest pamphlet competition. She spurs me on when I feel like I am not poet (what a rotten nuisance imposter syndrome is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment