Friday 22 January 2021

Ellen Hagan : part four

What other poetry books have you been reading lately?

Reading has been the best work for me as a writer. It is instrumental in everything I do – and I try to read as widely as possible and get as much exposure to language and craft as possible. I have been reading Horsepower by Joy Priest, which I absolutely love. Her voice stands out to me so much. The way the South shows up in her poems is stunning and needed. Other books that have stayed with me this year are: Seeing the Body by Rachel Eliza Griffiths, TERTULIA by Vincent Toro, FINNA by Nate Marshall and The Pink Box by Yesenia Montilla. I also love Elizabeth Acevedo. I read With the Fire on High this year, and even though it is not a novel in in verse, there was poetry in every sentence. I love books that shift my perception and make me see poetry or poetic language in a new and unique way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment