Wednesday 11 November 2020

Sally Ito : part one

Sally Ito has published three books of poetry, Frogs in the Rain Barrel, A Season of Mercy, and Alert to Glory.  She has also co-translated the children’s poetry of Japanese poet Misuzu Kaneko with her aunt, Michiko Tsuboi in a book titled Are You an Echo: The Lost Poetry of Misuzu Kaneko. Ito lives, writes and teaches in Winnipeg. 

Photo credit: Warren Cariou.

What are you working on?

I work in different genres so I’ll answer what I’m doing as a poet right now.  I’m teaching a creative writing poetry class so I try to do the exercises I assign my students as a way of generating my own work. I also try and write a haiku-a-day on Facebook, usually after taking a walk outside. I work on translation of poetry peripatetically with friends – namely, my Japanese aunt when I translate from Japanese, and German-reading poet friends when I translate from the German.

No comments:

Post a Comment