Tuesday 24 November 2020

Kim Mannix : part two

How do you know when a poem is finished?

I don’t know if I’ve ever felt anything I’ve written was absolutely finished. Even years later, if I re-read something I’ve considered “done” or that’s been published, I’m likely to see things I still want to change or tinker with. But obviously there’s a point where I am content enough with a poem to leave it alone. I can’t explain what exactly makes it ok to leave, other than there’s a kind of stillness or pause after I read it that makes me think, this can stand on its own now. It’s funny, because in my professional life I have deadlines that force me to finish whatever I’m writing, and make peace with how it comes out. There’s simply not time to tweak or second guess. Some of the poems I’m happiest with have also been because of some deadline, maybe for a contest or journal I’m submitting to.

No comments:

Post a Comment