Monday 25 March 2019

Samuel Guest : part one

Samuel Guest is a Jewish/Canadian poet, author, and educator who was diagnosed with a non-verbal learning disability at the age of seven.  His first book The Radical Dreams was self-published back in April of 2018.  Some of his poems have appeared in Half a Grapefruit Magazine and Montreal Writes.  He lives in Toronto, Ontario.

Photo credit: Sandro Pehar

When you require renewal, is there a particular poem or book that you return to?  A particular author?

When I require renewal time, I read “Turning the Tide” by Chuqiao Yang.  Her chapbook Reunions in the Year of the Sheep won the BP Nichol Award at last year’s “Meet the Presses Literary Market” in Toronto.  It was the one and only time that I read a poem on the subway and almost teared up.  I appreciated the connection she made to family, because I value family very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment