Friday 8 March 2019

Kevin Spenst : coda

What other poetry books have you been reading lately?

Of late, I’ve been immersed in the work of BC poets. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the work of Roy Miki in a huge collection of his work entitled Flow, which brings together his six books of poetry. There’s an intensity of thought that goes into the placement of each word in lines that flip through multiple meanings. Right now, the book is open to this line: “the rain renews all hollow/ pain that can’t be renewed/ by a drive down the street.” Lovely. Also, I’m slowly reading the poetry of Joy Kogawa “A Garden of Anchors” and I’m rereading Rilke’s Duino Elegies. Other books I’ve loved of late: Curtis LeBlanc’s Little Wild, Malory Tater’s This Will Be Good, Katherin Edwards’ A Thin Band, Russell Thornton’s The Broken Face, Onjana Yawnghwe’s The Small Way and Eve Joseph’s Quarrels. Yes, I’ve been on a reading bender this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment