Monday 13 June 2022

Aaron Kreuter : part three

What are you working on?

As always, I have a number of projects on the go, both poetical and not. I recently finished a new draft of my novel, Lake Burntshore, which should be on submission soon. The novel is about Jewish summer camp, settler colonialism, love and hatred, making a better world—you know, my usual things. My rewriting mantra while I was finishing the new draft: More Jewish. More Strange. For the first time in a number of years, I have a new batch of poems in the process of coming into the world. I think it has something to do with Shifting Baseline Syndrome finally being published, it cleared the poetry decks for the slop and entrails of making new work. The new poems seem to be concentrated around a number of different nodes: language; settler colonialism; the CIA; grasses, trees, carpets; soft planets; the golden age of malls. You know, the eternal subjects of poetry. I feel like these new poems are the apotheosis of something, whether the particular style and voice I’ve been digging into for more than a decade, my obsession with the possibilities of the prose poem, my growing sense of fear and loathing, what my friends call Kreuternoia. Perhaps these first three books will end up constituting a loose trilogy. Or, perhaps not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment