Sunday 5 August 2018

Jaime Forsythe : part three

How important is music to your poetry?

I sometimes play music (I played flute in a band called Moon) and while that and writing poetry don’t really overlap in practice, they can stem from some of the same impulses. In both cases, maybe I just wish I could sing? I like the precision of recording, and find a similar satisfaction in the process of rewriting and editing. I like the act of making one part of music blend with and speak to the other parts, which I also like about writing poems, but in playing music with others there is this relief: I only have to control one of the parts! I don’t usually listen to music when I write, but lately I’ve been writing to Grouper, which has an oceanic, continuous quality that works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment