Saturday 11 August 2018

Allie Marini : part five

5. How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

I used to, but in the past few years that’s narrowed. Most of my first drafts & edited drafts are only seen by my partner (Brennan DeFrisco), who is also a poet. Then when I feel like pieces are ready, I send them out to editors. Most of the time no one sees my work until & if it’s published. I do have a social group of writers on Twitter, but not one I share drafts with. I have a fiction partner (Emma Burcart) who I met in my MFA program, & we exchange work, but my poetry is often created in a little bubble of my own. I had a few bad experiences with trusting my work with some beta readers & it’s been hard for me to trust my drafts with others. It’s one of precious few things I miss about the MFA experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment