Tuesday 20 March 2018

Sara Renee Marshall : part three


Has your consideration of poetry changed since you began?

As a younger student of literature, I wrongly invested in what others told me was hip or important, deeply afraid that I’d make some grave error from which I would never recover. That included being afraid to confess anything, to put myself and my heartbreaks and my failure and my EXPERIENCE into my writing. It was received avant “knowledge” (read: currency) at the time that nobody wanted to hear about any of that. That inherently racist, classist, ableist, sexist thinking, and the entire sway of certain insidious strains of academic poetry, took a long time to unlearn. I’m still trying to rinse that shit off.

Further, I’m less invested in “poet” as an identity—or any particular writerly identity. I’m more interested in writing as a community practice, a way to reach out and participate, and at the same time, a way to listen, to show up for others, and to learn.

I once thought I loved poetry above other genres, but I think that too was a wrong-headed fad I fell for. I study and I write because I am a searching person. I’m hungry and hard to satisfy, so something called “poetry” doesn’t house everything I need. Necessarily, I go to podcasts and visual art; I go to 18th century women’s fiction and the history of transportation. These days, poetry is just one name for an urge I follow or a set of associations I try on or take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment