Tuesday 15 December 2020

Kim Mannix : part five

What poetry books have you been reading lately?

I’m a horror writer too, or trying to be, and a huge Poe fan, so just before Halloween I re-read The Complete Poetry of Edgar Allan Poe. I’ve always loved “Annabel Lee” because of how deceptively simple it seems. And it’s beautiful to read out loud.

I just finished Michael Prior’s Burning Province, which was stunning, and thoughtful and certainly a book I will return to again and again. 

I’m on to Word Problems by Ian Williams now. He’s definitely one of my favourite writers, and the wordplay and cleverness of this book, combined with such important and startling content is genius.

I always have Heaven’s Thieves by Sue Sinclair by my bed. I’ve read it cover to cover many times, but there are poems in there that I’d consider comfort poems, the way you come back to favourite songs or foods for familiarity and joy, so I keep the book close at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment