Friday 20 September 2019

Sarah A. Etlinger : part one

Sarah A. Etlinger holds a BA in English from Skidmore College, an MA in English from Syracuse University, and a Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition (English) from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Scholarly interests include new media studies, first-year composition, feminist literature,  the Beatles, and popular culture. Currently, she is Associate professor of Composition and Literature at Rock Valley College where she teaches courses in composition, film, and literature.

A Pushcart and Best of the Net nominee, she is the author of two books: Never One for Promises (Kelsay Books, 2018) and Little Human Things, forthcoming from Clare Songbirds. Other poems can be found in a variety of literary magazines, including The Amethyst Review, Neologism Poetry Journal, Mookychick, The Penwood Review, The Magnolia Review, Brine (where she was September 2018’s featured Poet of the Month) and many others.

Interests include cooking, traveling, and learning to play the piano.

What are you working on?

Right now, I am working on poems that I plan to turn into a 3rd book, potentially titled Something Like Light. The poems in this group explore the relationship among language, meaning, and experience. As the title suggests, light, too, has a strong presence: light bends, changes, fades, illuminates, and obscures—all part of human experience.  In keeping with the rest of my work, hese poems also weave in history, mythology, and religion; this time, however, I’m particularly interested in how the natural world seems to anchor us at the same time it takes us to different planes and places--- as does light and spirituality.

Additionally, I’m toying with either a long poem or small chapbook about the prairie and its landscapes, with a working title of “Sea of Grass.” Though I live in Milwaukee, WI, I’m from New England, and so I’m fascinated by the flatness and beauty of the Midwest--not just the fields and the farms and the lakes—but the prairies, too. So, this is an ongoing project still taking shape, but I’m excited about the form it may take as I continue to work on it.

Finally, I am always working on revising individual poems, submitting to journals/contests, and trying to market my work.  Stay tuned for upcoming interviews, readings, and individual poems!


No comments:

Post a Comment