Monday 24 June 2019

Joshua Weiner : part three

What poets have changed the way you thought about writing? 

Too many to name.  I think I'm a little changed by every poet I read seriously, by which I mean continually and intentionally for a period of time.  Mina Loy, whose work I was immersed in for years, helped me better understand the relationship of verbal density to expansive consciousness; she became one of my few courage teachers, you could say.  And Wallace Stevens did something of the same though entirely differently, by connecting, very powerfully, the sensual world to actions of mind, and with such strong physical sensation in the language. I notice that when I read him for a spell, and I look up from the book, the world around me looks perceptively changed, my brain feels like it's suddenly doing something unusual that's separate from reading.  Reading Stevens for me is a little like taking LSD, but easier to be with other people.  It didn't change the way I thought about writing as much as it made me hyper aware of how, at the granular level of the syllable, the interaction of those language-sounds affects me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment