Tuesday 18 September 2018

Robin Durnford : part four


How important is music to your poetry?

Music is central to my poetry. The music of language, that is. I feel very strongly that poetry should really need no accompaniment. The music should come from the sound of the words themselves, in their chosen order, and the syllables and the silences and the line breaks should make up the notes. Language itself is music. That’s poetry. The accents, the dialects, the combination of verbs and nouns, the rests leading up to intensity, the quietness, the noise of language. For me this is the struggle and the pleasure of poetry. For me form is a bit of a ruse, although I strongly admire those who make original music out of the frames that make up sonnets and villanelles and odes (although these days I often find them boring to the ear). I live for the sound of the language, of people’s voices, the way they talk when they don’t know anyone is listening. This was my childhood in the outports and quiet corners of Newfoundland. This is my poetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment