Sunday 3 October 2021

Andy N : part two

How did you first engage with poetry?

I know not everybody does this, but I’ve got little A5 hard back books which contains every completed poem I have ever completed whether great, average or frankly dreadful and I know the first one was wrote in there when I was 10 (I’m now 49 which gives a clue of how books I have completed). 

I don’t remember where the first poem came from if I am honest but it would have being some kind of class exercise I can see from reading it (It was called ‘Colours in the sky’ and was quite a basic romp through all of the colours in the sky). It wasn’t very good. 

The second poem ‘The Kill’ which followed six months or so in 1983 just after I reached I wrote after a trip to Chester Zoo (A Zoo nearish my primary school). The day after the trip we got asked to write a poem about our trip to the Zoo, and I wrote one about the lions breaking out of the cage and eating one of the teachers. They didn’t like it a lot it had to be said and I got a weeks detention. I however, loved it and the bug bit there I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment