Tuesday 4 August 2020

Calibna J. Kerr : part five

Why is poetry important?

I think poetry is important because it has been a cornerstone of our culture, it’s how we have told stories, created myths, legends throughout the ages, and I think it still has its place in our contemporary culture now. It enables people to communicate on an esoteric level, where there is a unique bond created between writer and reader. And I often find myself returning to poetry to discover meaning and to identify solutions in the bigger problems. I think from the perspective of the writer themselves, and many poets I believe would agree, that poetry is like meditation. It is an opportunity to rid yourself of the darkness, to decompress. It’s important to the writer of course as poetry itself I suppose forms the greatest of counsellors, and on late rainy nights poetry has enabled me to release the pressure of modern life and living.

No comments:

Post a Comment