Saturday 20 July 2019

sophie anne edwards : part four

What do you feel poetry can accomplish that other forms can’t?

Poetry often gives the sense, in its distillation, that it is merely a glimpse of an entirely other, entirely whole other world, the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, whereas visual art can sometimes be the thing itself, finished, whole (although I also prefer unfinished, process-based visual art and non-representational work). Perhaps that is why sometimes I like my poems to be visual, or somehow visually structured, even if the poems feel incomplete in the language. I increasingly find it hard to separate the visual from the textual, and so my work now often hovers between the two. A sensibility to installation-based visual arts practices as a curator and visual artist lends itself to my site-specific poetry. Each practice has its own vocabulary, its own possibilities, its own way to construct and deconstruct meanings, to synthesize and expand language and meaning. But poetry is language, and song, and word, and these are somehow deeply linked to meaning making in a way I can’t quite articulate with a brush, or a stitch alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment