Tuesday 25 June 2019

Chris Warren : part one

Chris Warren is a UK based typographical artist, poet and writer. He has exhibited in China and Finland, and will soon be exhibiting a series of 18 typewriter studies in the UK. He is also a contributor to the Chaudiere Books blog, a founding member of The Spittoon Collective, founder of the Spittoon Fiction night and former fiction editor of The Spittoon Literary Magazine, based in Beijing. His work can be found at www.cdnwarren.co.uk.

What are you working on?

The time I have to work at the moment is relatively few and far between but I’m doing what I can to make headway into four separate projects. One is a series of 26 concrete poems focussing on the digital manipulation and disintegration of individual letters; the second is a growing series of typewritten shade studies; the third is an increasingly ridiculous typographic nonsense odyssey that I lost all control of some time ago, and the fourth is a series of large, typewritten, poems largely written by my 18 month old son. He is one of the greatest sound poets I have ever heard, bias aside. The issue I have at the moment, if it can be called an issue, is that the work put into any of these projects is letting loose a flood of thoughts and ideas that are influencing the others, or planting seeds for new projects, which means everything I’m working on seems to be quickly gestating into something larger than I originally conceived. However, finding myself juggling more balls than I have hands for is a far nicer place to be than having acres of time and an empty head. I’ve been there too, and that’s just upsetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment